Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Curmudgeon ventures forth

It's been a long hard winter on the Mount.  April 4th and the ground is still frozen.  When we tried to dislodge some of the sunflowers that were left in to feed the winter birds, they wouldn't budge.  That would be the sunflower stalks that didn't budge.  There weren't too many birds to worry about.  
We are already weeks behind our usual time to start mucking around in the garden.    

First stop this morning was at Strands where the step daughter works.  I think the deal is she cuts my hair in exchange for the money I loaned her to get her car fixed.  According to my calculations,  we should be square by about 2056, long after the time that I will know if she is cutting my hair or not.  Maybe I'll put in my will that she doesn't have to cut my hair after I'm dead.   

Unfortunately, Strands is now located on the other end of the village, about five round-a-bouts away.  I have a few good things to say about round-a-bouts but I can't think of what they are right now. 



She keeps trying to pawn her two pugs off on me. I have enough trouble getting up and down the stairs now without adding pug pee times to my ups and downs.



The big talk up town is that the Wisconsin Badgers are in the final four in the NCAA basketball tournament.

  





I know the game against Kentucky will have been played by the time I get this blog posted so if I think of it, I will tack on the score here.   Wisconsin 73  Kentucky 74

I wasn't planning on watching the game, since I disconnected the TV after the Brewer's disappointment of a couple of years ago. Anyway that's the story I've been repeating.




The only time I miss the tube is for a big game like this.  Some how I have survived without all the political announcements and advertisements, and I've certainly been able to read a lot more books.  


Spotted Cow happens to be my beer of choice, so this sign is particularly welcoming.  I could be happy just seeing the sign but since I'm there, I will keep the appointment with my Swiss curmudgeon buddy.  I have saved the following lineup for frequent perusal.  I have tried many in that lineup but Spotted Cow is my usual choice.   



The Swiss curmudgeon and I usually trade rants before discussing the latest book reads over multiple cups of coffee.  It helps to tidy up the spleen and take some of the pressure off the other people who may be the unfortunate few who cross our paths.  Check out some of the latest spleen studies and you will see the scientific research that has been done on this need to cleanse.  

One of my favorite R. Crumb characters has been Mr. Natural, though sometimes I can't remember that name, and again just recently called him Mr. Sunshine.  Once I get this spleen taken care of, I will start working on the brain.  

The more I think of it, I should have added R. Crumb to my original curmudgeon list.  I often agree with his attitude although at times he seems to go over the top. (his official web site here)


On my way back to the Mount, I did manage to take a couple of photos.  So what you see in the next two photos are road views between New Glarus and the Mount on County Highway JG.  It was cold and the snow was still clutching the valleys and the northern slopes. 






Back on the Mount heading for home.  Main Street and 2nd Street at the Opera House corner. ...and an afternoon nap. 



No comments:

Post a Comment